Activities and Attractions at the Renosterveld Centre
Things to do during your stay
- Walk, hike, or cycle through the largest stretch of lowland Renosterveld in the world today;
- Take an evening/night stroll through the veld, and see animals and insects hidden during the day (look out for the Caracal or African Wild Cat and the Honey Badger);
- Go birding – if you are lucky you will see Black Harrier, Southern Black Korhaan, Cape Vulture, Agulhas Clapper Lark, Secretarybird and many more;
- Sorry, no pets are allowed.
And other things to do close by
The surrounding area at Haarwegskloof offers much more than just Renosterveld. If you chose to visit or stay at the Renosterveld Reserve, please find some our favourite local activities and day trips below. Please note that the Centre is currently open by appointment only.
De Hoop: Game drive and lunch
The beautiful De Hoop Nature reserve is great for hikers, cyclists, and bird & whale watchers. It is about 34,000 ha in size and, together with the neighbouring marine reserve extending 5 km into the Indian Ocean, it offers a vast and fascinating variety of wildlife and marine life. Look out for Bontebok, Cape mountain zebra, Eland, Grey rhebok, Baboon and Yellow mongoose. De Hoop Vlei is great for birding and Potberg is home to the only remaining Western Cape breeding colony of Cape vultures. During whale season (July-November), watch dozens of Southern right whales cruising along the coast from the Koppie Alleen dune. Stop for lunch or coffee & cake at the Fig Tree Restaurant.
Sijnn Wines: Wine tasting and lunch
Visit the quaint village of Malgas and experience the ‘pont’ (ferry), linking the communities on the east and west bank of the Breede River. Visit this exciting Malgas vineyard, producing small amounts of concentrated fruit with a fresh, complex mineral character, grown on stony soils in a warm dry climate that is moderated by the constant sea breeze. The winemaker, David Trafford, will happily take you into the cellar and introduce you to barrel tastings. Join them for a lunch on their stoep overlooking the Breede River and go for a Renosterveld vineyard walk on their property. Sijnn Wines are open for tastings Fri & Sat 10.00-13.00.
Other accommodation near Haarwegskloof
- De Hoop Collection offers accommodation at different budgets in De Hoop NR.
- The quaint village of Malgas offers many self-catering and B&B accommodation for different budgets.
- If you are into birding, Potteberg Guest Farm is ideal, in close proximity to the Cape vultures at Potberg.
- If you want to enjoy both river and the ocean, stay at Mudlark Riverfront Lodge in Witsand.